Thursday 4 June 2015

1st Association of Crucian Anglers fish in at Marsh Farm.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the 1st Association of Crucian Anglers fish in at Marsh Farm Harris lake in Surrey. This is a venue I have wanted to fish for some time due the numbers of big Crucians swimming around in its water. To get there meant battling the M25 and Dartford crossing during the 3 hour drive! But it would be well worth it.


I arrived in the car park at 7.30 am and got talking to some of the guys who would be fishing too. We were all excited but maybe it was most exciting for the guys who had never fished there? In other words ME! Lol. We did the draw for pegs and I drew peg 45. Having studied a map of the lake i knew this swim gave me lots of open water but no island to fish too. I did consider moving into one of the free swims but stayed put as I wanted to give the swim a go.

I set up my usual two Crucian rods (float and feeder) and made up my groundbait. I cast out 10 feeder fulls to bait my chosen spot just short of half way out. It was a bright day so reasoned the fish may be in the deeper water. I was taken somewhat by surprise when my alarm sounded and bobbin SLAMMED up to signal an early take! I hit into a reasonable weight and thought it may be one of the many Tench. When I saw a big golden head pop up I had visions of one of the big Crucians that swin in the lake. I think I was too excited and guessed it to be near 3lb but it weighed 2lb 7oz. Which was an equal PB so I was extremely happy to catch it. I think it was spawned out and could well have been nearer 3lb a week earlier?


I set about making my camp for the night whilst casting out a full feeder regularly to keep the spot topped up. No more action happened until mid afternoon when a flurry of Tench came right up to when I reeled in for some much needed sleep around 11.30pm. I set my alarm for 4am so I could make the most of my stay before I was to leave around lunchtime. As soon as I cast out the Tench were on the feed. I landed a total of 14 Tench to 6lb but no more Crucians. The Crucian fishing was hard for everyone and only 7 were caught to 2lb 12oz. But the Tench kept most of the guys busy. So I packed up for home tired but happy. Even the drive back home didn't seem too bad.


A big thanks goes to everyone at Godalming AC for letting us gatecrash Harris lake for the night. And to Chris Netto, Lee Noakes, Chris Turnbull and all of the guys who attended for making the fish in a hugely enjoyable experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment