Tuesday 9 June 2015

Slimy + tired = a great days Crucian fishing!


How many times has someone said to you "the fishings not as good as it use to be" or something to that affect? Well that's what people said to me about a Norfolk venue I wanted to fish for Crucian carp. Diss mere.


I got to the lake as early as I could at about 7am. Not bad considering I have a 3 month old son and was up a few times during the night feeding amongst other things! I chose a swim that had a nice over hanging tree and open water to target. I planned on using 2 rods. My trusty float setup was one and the other was my also trusty method feeder setup. I mixed my usual groundbait mix of fishmeal, krill and crushed hemp with a handful of sweetcorn. I baited under the tree with a few small handfuls of the mix and cast the feeder out 5 times to the desired spot in open water to bait the area. The 6th cast had a baited hair rigged 8mm pop up boilie. Next I cast out my float and sat back for a relaxing days fishing.

Next thing I knew the feeder rod was away! I struck and started playing a fish I thought may be a small Tench? Quickly the fish popped up to the surface and flashed its golden scales as it headed back down again. Much to my surprise it was a crucian 1st cast on the feeder! Before I could even net it I heard the clicking of my centrepin reel. I looked over to see my float rod bent round as a fish was making off under the tree! I netted the Crucian and grabbed the float rod to be met with a strong fish. This was definitely a Tench and it scrapped hard until it joined the Crucian in the waiting net. My 1st Crucian from the lake 1st cast! It weighed 1lb 8oz and I guess the Tench was double that.


After slipping the fish back I set about recasting the rods only to have an exact action replay of the previous mayhem! Suffice to say I gave up on 2 rods and went to using just the feeder rod. The action continued with another Crucian a little bigger than the previous one. This one weighed 1lb 10oz and was as mint as the 1st. 


I switched between using the float and the feeder as I do like to mix it up a bit to keep things interesting. I caught from the off on the float too as I had been trickling in bait under the tree to keep the fish there. I had a few more Tench and a couple of small carp which made it interesting on a light outfit! I only had 2 Crucians on the float.

Maybe they wanted to be in the deeper water as it was a bright day? I thought this as by lunchtime I had caught 12 Crucians to 1lb 14oz . Plus a few more Tench and many small Bream. All the Crucians were over 1lb. 


The rest of the afternoon was spent catching small Bream. I decided to call it a day as I was so tired! 12 Crucians, several Tench, a few Carp and countless Bream saw to that! If the days fishing I just had was not as good as it use to be I would have loved to have seen it at its peak!




No comments:

Post a Comment