Wednesday 3 June 2015

Fenland Pike fishing

I had been Pike fishing on still waters for the season so far and felt the needs to target moving water again. So a fenland river was to be the venue I would target. It was a good move as I found the pike in a deadly mood!

I started by putting out my usual dead bait rods. One with a half mackeral and one with a popped up eel section. It was slow going and no runs were fourth coming. So I decided to get the drop shotting rod out with a small rubber shad type lure. Well this was a good move as I was into a fish first cast! It was a small jack but was very welcome. Well 3 more cast I had 2 more jacks! I handed the rod over to my mate as he was gagging for a go. He caught 1 first cast too! He was very impressed with the drop shot method of lure fishing. 

I did keep recasting the dead baits just to see if anything would pick them up. And it paid off as i caught the biggest fish of the day on the popped up eel section. Only around 8lb but I was very happy to catch it. I only caught the 1 Pike on dead bait so they obviously wanted something moving to eat! Lol




No comments:

Post a Comment